Monday, September 27, 2010

Oops! I couldda had a C8!

Dang head stem. If someone told me that my head's not screwed on straight - they'd be right.

My neck decided to go ahead and age 30 years ahead of the rest of my body.

The doc said it's like trying to balance a bowling ball on a -35 degree angled post. Superb analogy, eh?

Here I sit, ol' bowling ball permanently fused forward like I'm waiting for something. Godot?

The problem comes in that the vertebra that is most affected is the C8. Don't worry, I had no idea what that meant either... Just don't ask me to hold your baby or Fabergé egg collection. Definitely not a good option. That little bony bit at the base of my bowling ball pole holds the nerves that control the hands.

Yup, I'm a dropper. Just randomly, the signals coming through the 8 decide to detour to goodness knows where, and my hands just release. Thank God Dexa over at Kowalski's in White Bear Lake just happens to be the Queen of Cool. She barely batted an eye when I dropped my basket containing white-hot Minestrone, a full pint of blueberries and some schmancy expensive homemade Graham crackers into the shiny-new cheese case display she was showing me.

Aside from spilling nearly every glass at the table when we dine out, I can no longer tell which finger is which when putting on gloves. Guess I'll have to make the move to mittens this year... I'm considering getting ones with the string. I always wanted those as a kid - right around the same time I was famous for my Angus Young impression.

2 comments:

  1. So, is that something that can be fixed, or is this the destiny of your trips to kowalski's? In which case, I'd recommend a front storing bag for your goods. Think a backpack, worn to the front so you don't have to hold things in your hands too long. ?? OR, call me and we'll shop together. No more wasting good Minestrone. <3 MWA! Love from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best, Cami! I know - spilling the soup broke my heart, and was mortifying for poor Dexa. Yeah, it's a destiny thing, and I have graduated to always using carts now ;). Stores tend to freak a bit when you load things into closable bags... And I look horrible in orange jumpsuits (what shoes does one wear with those, anyway?!)
    However, if I could use the ruse of a Kowalski's run to get you back here for some chick chat, you know I would.
    Thanks for reading, and please share if you would. I think there are more like me out there that go misdiagnosed for years (like I was), and the sooner people can get real answers, the better off they and their families will be!
    xoxo and hugs to all - e

    ReplyDelete

I welcome you to add comments, suggestions and resources you think may be helpful for those with EDS, and always appreciate your thoughts and prayers.