Saturday, September 18, 2010

The View from Butt-Level

I have a whole new appreciation for a child's viewpoint. You can't see what's ahead of you, someone is leading (or pushing) you wherever you go, and the view really isn't all that great. The world becomes a sea of backsides.

My right ankle recently decided to join the EDS party, and so we are now looking for wheelchairs. It's really the only way we can envision being able to do the things we used to do that require more walking than a trip to the grocery store.

As I watch my bony, crooked fingers type, I know that I won't be able to roll myself more than a few feet, and I will be dependent on a pusher. I worry what other things will evaporate from my repertoire of independence, and am starting to realize the implications of this disability thing.

An email from my awesome doc at Mayo confirmed that I should begin the process of applying for permanent disability license plates. It's hard seeing your future in the cold glow of the computer screen.

So I think I have my new ride picked out. It's a snappy little blue number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome you to add comments, suggestions and resources you think may be helpful for those with EDS, and always appreciate your thoughts and prayers.