Thursday, October 14, 2010

Morning Glories and Ankles

It's a crisp October morning; the morning glories that sprawl across the fence have stopped their ritual of closing at night. Even flowers tire of the things they are genetically coded to do.

My appointment this morning is to discuss the breakdown of my right ankle. I read the doctor's report of his plans for this latest repair. Another surgery, another temporary fix.

What I thought would be a simple scope plucking of a single bone spur is really a full open, replete with a bone debriding of where the bones meet the ankle joint, somehow fixing the the two tendons that have split and are continuing their travels up my leg, and fishing out the multiple little spurs that have broken off and are causing the mess.

With EDS, we don't always heal properly, and this concern is why DoogieDoc wanted to wait - to talk to other docs that have done multiple previous surgeries on me to see what he was getting himself into.

To add to the fun, my precious little Beagle Bassett Bella is having surgery today as well, to remove mysterious lumps that are popping up on her little torso. I forgot about that - how could I forget that? Today is not a banner day.

My full-on breakdown and release of emotion yesterday didn't do the trick, and I worry that my outward PollyAnna attitude about all of this is starting to fade. I worry that my fix-it-all husband will become increasingly frustrated with a wife he can't fix. I am very concerned that my Mom will worry herself into another heart attack, as this will not be the end of the EDS battle.

My knees have both already lost their menisci and my shoulders crunch with the slightest movement. My left ankle tendons are tearing up my leg too - I can feel that, but like a child hiding a visit to the cookie jar, I am hiding that fact from others, and worse, myself.

I am so scared, and like EDS, there is no cure for that.

3 comments:

  1. Oh honey, it there was anything I could do - I would. We LOVE you . . . and Bella too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for you all the time Erin. A heavy heart resides here as there is nothing I can do for you to make this better. We love you. We're here for you if you need. ~ cami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies. Your love and prayers are greatly appreciated.

    Bella is her usual dumptruck self, behaving as though nothing happened yesterday though the huge scars on her shoulders and rump say otherwise.

    I have chilled quite a bit since yesterday, realizing that there is nothing anyone can do about this mess. DoogieDoc's bedside manner is that of a surfer kid, which helps tremendously as he explained the surg process. He's so calm and smart as a whip. I'd totally card him if I were a bartender, but dang, he's a smarty.

    Like so many people struggling, I can truly feel the help from prayer. It's like a warm arm around my shoulders - quite literally. I humbly ask that you please keep it up, as I really need it to keep me sane.

    Thank you sounds so hollow, but it is genuine and heartfelt. Much love -e

    ReplyDelete

I welcome you to add comments, suggestions and resources you think may be helpful for those with EDS, and always appreciate your thoughts and prayers.